The New Ferrari Is One Lauda

Well. Wow. And wow again. We’ve wanted Ferrari to do something a bit different for years now, but we weren’t expecting this. The new SF16-H has been unveiled, and it’s got a distinctly 1970s-ish twist to it:

Yes, the intent is obviously for us all to be put in mind of the classic 312T, which the team raced (in various forms) between 1974 and 1981, picking up three championships along the way. Lauda, Regazzoni, Villeneuve, Scheckter – they’ve all driven a Ferrari with that distinctive white hood and Italian flag stripes, and now Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen will be doing so as well.

(Of course, if you wanted to be cruel, you could also point out that it wasn’t exactly a brilliant omen the last time the team had a car that looked like this, in 1993 – but that’s obviously not the year they’re looking to evoke.)

I’ve said many times since launching this site that as far as I’m concerned, a Ferrari should be red with black wings (and a bit of yellow). But if we can’t have that? This is pretty much the next-best thing.

But I still wish they’d get rid of that sodding fake-Marlboro flag on the engine cover…

9 Comments

K. Spatharas

February 19, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I’m not really sure how to feel about this one – I think our opinions are reversed when it comes to the Red Bull and Ferrari cars XD

I don’t really like the splash of white on the car, but idk of any other way it could have looked better; idk, I guess I am too used to the classic Ferrari all-red design from 1999 to 2012 (with my favourites being the ’99 car and the 2007 one), so I really don’t know how well it befits the splash of white on the Ferrari.

I think such a livery would be more appropriate for an Alfa Romeo team, if Ferrari does buy out a secondary rookie team and rebrands them as Alfa Romeo.

K. Spatharas

February 19, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Also, the new Ferrari overalls are… really bad tbh X_X Are you gonna comment on the overalls the teams are bringing in with their liveries as well, possibly? 🙂

Ned

February 19, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, an overalls based article is a conspicuous absence on this site, I’d like to see that when they’ve all launched!

Cuky

February 19, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Imagine how great this livery would look if instead of that “not Marlboro” logo they had huge racing numbers in black

fandericciardo3

February 19, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I am completely forgetting the Marlboro for good 😀

nick

February 20, 2016 at 1:38 am

In my opinion, ferrari should just be plain red, the only team that shouldnt have to conform, im not a ferrari fan but still realise their main tradition lies with red

Dahie

February 20, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I really like. What I find peculiar, is that they actually find 2 pretty neat designs, that – don’t suit each other – don’t work with eachother, but can coexist:
    The white-black-red combination on airbox is beautify and they could have done a similar application on the rest of the car.
    The red-white-thinredline-white on the nose/airbox is awesome and goes beautiful along the car… and they could have done a similar application on the sidebox.
    Instead they mixed it. It can coexist, I’d have chosen one of the two. Still eye-catching design 🙂

nonames

February 25, 2016 at 12:21 am

This livery is so wrong….

bert van marenswoud

March 17, 2016 at 12:15 am

I do not like it very much. Too chaotic, and it shouldn’t be. Probably a committee decided this, no good can come of that.