Not entirely sure how I feel about this one, to be honest. There’s good and there’s bad, so let’s take them both in turn…
Embed from Getty Images
- That matte paint job. Something genuinely distinctive and different, and which we don’t see in F1 very often (if at all, before? Not that I can recall, anyway) If there’s a downside it’s that in certain lighting it’s going to look black – which isn’t bad in and of itself, but it is if that’s what colour the Renault’s going to be – but it’s a really nice shade of blue, much more striking than in previous seasons.
- The whole thing’s a lot tidier and smarter than at any point since the team’s earliest liveries. The additional AT&T sponsorship fits on nicely without doing anything clashy, and I like the simple, smart red line on the side of the monocoque.
- THE PURPLE IS GONE, HOORAY, THE HORRIBLE SHINY INFINITI PURPLE IS ALL GONE
- This comes close to scuppering the whole thing, but I really don’t like the way the “Red Bull” text on the sidepod doesn’t have any kind of outline or shadow – the plain red on the blue background just doesn’t work. Imagine how much better it would look if the letters were outlined in white?
- The redesigned charging bull on the engine cover, which is now entirely yellow and red without any white, is an interesting change in style, and it does look pretty good. However, I still think it would maybe look better with white on it (indeed, if they changed the sidepod lettering to be outlined white, then it definitely would), and as it stands, this feels a little more STR than RBR?
Still, on the whole, I’m giving this a tentative thumbs-up. The matte paint is a really strong idea that instantly sets the team apart – and hey, isn’t “really strong idea that instantly sets the team apart” basically what we want from any livery?