New Ferrari livery is blue and orange!!

… no, not really. It’s a Ferrari, and it looks like one. Have some big lovely high-res pictures, anyway:

The main point of interest, of course, is the big Italian flag that takes up the rear wing, in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the country’s unification (a fact that also gives its name to the car, the F150). It’s an interesting feature – although I can’t help but think it may end up looking more Irish in certain light, given the orange-red Ferrari currently employ; and I have to say I’d have preferred an Italian flag motif to be worked into a more stylised, racing-livery context – perhaps with a more ’70s style engine cover.

As it is, while the new Scuderia logo is undoubtedly an improvement on the Marlboro one, on the car itself it really doesn’t work in that configuration. I can imagine the rectangular version looks good on trucks and suchlike, but on the car itself I think it’d look immeasurably better if the top left corner were chopped out, the “swoop” moved up and left to be in line with the shape of the car, and the prancing horse shield moved to the right. But hey-ho.

One more point to note is that sponsors Etihad are now completely absent from the car. Their three-year deal, signed in 2008, ended at the close of last season, and evidently it’s not been renewed. Are they pulling out of the sport altogether, or can we expect to see them show up on another car? Perhaps they might be the new title sponsor for a team currently missing one? Or will they just be concentrating on their sponsorship of the Abu Dhabi GP from now on?

Oh, and one last thing: are all the teams’ tyres going to have the Pirelli logo straight-on in that way? Weeeeeird…

10 Comments

Emiliano

January 29, 2011 at 12:24 am

I still dream with a black painted wings livery for Ferrari since I saw this concept:

[fliP]

January 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Anyone else thinking that the new Scuderia Ferrari logo looks like a half package of Marlboro cigarettes? Frankly, if Ferrari needed a new logo for themselves, why should they apply so much white to it? It now remembers me of the pre-barcode ferraris – still a strong link to Marlboro I think.

Ed

January 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

@[fliP] – of course, this is still a Marlboro car don’t forget.

I agree about the Italian flag, they could have used it in many better ways.

As well as Etihad, Mubadala are also gone (they were on the nose of the car). So that is 2 Abu Dhabi companies that have left the team.

Ned

January 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I quite like it. The car itself is pretty ugly- compared to their 2010 car, at least- but that Italian flag on the bag is a nice surprise, and those yellow Pirelli logo’s match with the Prancing Horse badge and Shell so well.

The new logo, however, I’m not so keen on. It reminds me of the old Marlboro white bit, except with an extended red airbox above it: http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/2002%20Ferrari.small.jpg

Ned

January 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm

‘Flag on the bag’?!?!?! Haha, extreme brain fade… what I meant to say was ‘Italian flag on the the rear wing’

Vert

January 30, 2011 at 5:37 am

Not much to comment about really. Majorly the same as last years livery. Just wish they had fixed those rear wing endplates 🙁

Ned

January 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Psst Seb. This could be a scoop… or a fake. But it looks like an improvement to me. The new Mercedes: http://bilder.bild.de/BILD/sport/motorsport/formel1/2011/01/30/welt-exklusiv/imagemap/auto.jpg

Aly

January 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Mubadala held shares in Ferrari that Fiat recently bought back, I’m sure thats why their name will be missing off of the car. I’m not sure of Mubadala also hold shares in Etihad or whether it is just the case that they did not renew thier contract. Disappointing that they havn’t been able to add any new names to on ethe worlds most famous liveries. As usual the livery is compromised by the non-tobacco rules but it could have been better, 6/10 from me.

Séamus

January 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Well done Ferrari!. Lovely and understated as all quality Ferrari liveries should be.

Anonymous

October 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

west european cars…

[…]New Ferrari livery is blue and orange!! « Formula One Colours[…]…